Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cards Scare Me (Mother' s Day card)

A few days ago at Kindred Creations someone commented that creating cards scares her. Maybe some of you are intimidated by the thought of creating a card. I've created a bit of a tutorial to give you a start in creating cards. Now there are a multitude of ways you can create a card, and there are copious card sketches out there to help you along.
Take this card for instance; I didn't use a sketch but I used a fairly simple formula.
I started with a shaped card.. which just makes it a little fancier. I took two coordinating pieces of patterned paper, and I used one on the top, one on the bottom. I chose half and half, but I could have used more or less on top. I separated the two with a piece of ribbon/lace. I then added an embellishment, in this case the flower with leaves (again it could have been anything; a stamped image, die cut, sticker.. whatever fits your theme). Then I added the sentiment to the top half (depending on your card it could look better balanced on the bottom). I could have rounded the bottom of the sentiment as well or used a bookplate and raised it up more but in this instance I tucked it under the lace a little bit. I also chose to leave a small white edge all around the card. Supplies used: I cut the base from white card stock on my Silhouette, Chatterbox patterned paper, lace, flowers and Pearls from Dollarama (the flowers I took through the cuttlebug using the Victoria embossing folder and layered with foam adhesive), Martha Stewart branch craft punch leaves, CTMH sentiment stamp with Adirondack ink.
Here are a few more cards based on the same basic formula:

Sometimes there is no bottom paper, sometimes it's on the inside of the card and the bottom of the front of the card is cut shorter, or in the case of the card in the top right corner I just used a strip of paper with the sentiment to divide the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate all the comments I receive. I blog to share my creations for your enjoyment.
Thanks so much, and please come back again.

Willemien