Saturday, December 11, 2010

Santa: Altered Tile

I'm so thrilled to have been chosen by Cora from Digital Two for Tuesday to be a Guest Designer for her Christmas images.  This is the first of three projects I designed for her.  Please watch for the other two projects to be posted here tomorrow and Monday.  You can also check out all the projects as they will all be posted on the Digital Two for Tuesday site today.  I wish I had had more time because there were certainly more images I had ideas for, so go and check out her blog for some really great digital images. Cora asked us to create some non card projects, like gifts, decor or other 3D projects.

For this project I purchased an 8x10" plain white tile from the hardware store. I had intended to do this project as a laser copy transfer, but unfortunately with 4 days of deep snow and white out conditions I just couldn't justify driving into town for a mere photocopy.  So I switched gears.  I edited this Santa image slightly in my photo editing software so that it would print precisely in an 8x10" space (I believe I stretched the width ever so slightly... a square tile with some text set up beside the image would have been lovely as well, but I could only find 12x12 tiles, too big for a standard printer page).  I taped tissue paper onto a sheet of printer paper making sure I fastened it along all sides.  It's especially important to make sure it is taped along the bottom and the lower sides of the tissue paper so it feeds nicely into the printer.  I printed the image onto the tissue paper.  I then covered the tile with a thin layer of Mod Podge and very carefully lay the image onto the tile using a scraper or something like a credit card to make sure there are no air bubbles or wrinkles (or very few anyway).  Should you make a mistake just wash your tile clean and start over again.  I then used craft paint and artist pencils to colour Santa.  I also used Cranberry Adirondack Acrylics to add colour and dimension to the berries.  It would make a great gift... if you bought more than one tile because you probably wouldn't want to part with the first one you created!  So it is good that I bought more than one tile!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Such a cool project!!! I must get some supplies and try this! Thanks so much for the clear directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really wonderful! I am amazed to learn that you can print on tissue paper. When you say 'craft paint' do you mean acrylic paint, or is there something I am missing here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, just an acrylic paint like making MM, paint daubers, Deco Art or the likes. As long as you fasten the bottom and edges of the tissue paper well it should feed into your printer properly (although of course I can't speak for all printers).

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all the comments I receive. I blog to share my creations for your enjoyment.
Thanks so much, and please come back again.

Willemien