Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In Memory of Baby Lucas

This is one card I hope to never have the occasion to create again.  My heart goes out to the family who had to say goodbye to their newborn baby boy.  I know how excited they all were about the arrival of this baby.  Though under the circumstances I was glad to create this baby sympathy card and support them in the difficult days ahead.

I started with a blue card stock.  Then using black card stock I cut a frame using the Spellbinders Fleur de Lis border die.  For the shorter lengths I took the border strip out of the die after I embossed it, moved it over 2 repetitions and ran it through the Cuttlebug again to shorten it and also used that to create the corner pieces.  After I glued down the frame I scored and cut the card stock to create the base of the card leaving the same space all around the frame.  I then layered white and blue card stock over the opening in the frame.  I stamped the Heartfelt Creations Decorative Vintage Cross with black StazOn ink onto the blue card stock.  Then I stamped baby feet ($store stamp) using VersaMark, and embossed the Impression Obsession 'With Sympathy' sentiment using white embossing powder.  I also stamped the cross onto black as well as blue card stock and embossed with white embossing powder.  I cut the cross out of the black card stock and the flower and leaves out of the blue embossed card stock. I highlighted the flower with a blue artist pencil and the leaves with a green artist pencil.  I then layered it over the original using foam adhesive, though I only used the foam adhesive on the petals of the flower.  I added the leaves to the original layer raising the tips with rolled glue dots.  Lastly I added blue KaiserCraft Pearls to the center of the flower and the corners of the card.
I cut two more sets of panels in a similar size to the front from black and white card stock.  Using the font Marnie Regular I printed Philippians 4:6-7 on the left panel, and a coordinating sentiment on the right panel.  Using Cloudy Blue Adirondack ink I stamped the Decorative Vintage Cross over the bible verse, and the foot prints on the lower right hand corner of the right side panel.  I then adhered the black and white panels to each side.
I really wanted to make this card specifically to suit a baby boy, instead of a generic sympathy card, I also knew I had incorporate our faith that is giving them the strength to endure.  Therefore I chose to use the baby blue colour along with the traditional black colour of mourning and white for peace.  Then added the baby feet stamp.  I repeated the same stamps on the inside of the card and a personalized sentiment.

2 comments:

  1. This must be one of the hardest cards you have had to make. You have made a beautiful card to support them.
    Anne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart broke for the child's family when I saw this card. However, your card did inspire me to create my own for my son's baptismal. It is nothing compared to yours but it got me started! Thank you so much for sharing. (http://linnie79.blogspot.com/2011/04/charlies-baptismal.html :) Thank you again so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all the comments I receive. I blog to share my creations for your enjoyment.
Thanks so much, and please come back again.

Willemien